Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Children of the Mekong

Last week I mentioned being super busy for lately, so this week, I'm going to tell you about one of the things that's been taking up my time.





I've recently volunteered to help out this amazing little charity called Children of the Mekong, which is the UK branch of the charity Enfants du Mekong, which has been around since 1958.







COTM basically help support children in south east Asia through their education system. They work on a number of projects to encourage children's education, such as building schools and offering free education. Since 2000, the EU made a number of pledges, one of which was to increase the number it primary schools in LEDCs, as part of their efforts to relief world poverty. However the issue now is that there are less developed secondary schools and extremely limited higher education. COTM is working to increase the education options beyond primary schools and are even working to help the graduates to network, write their cv, find jobs and more.


It's a small charity, and it's only just over 2 years old in the UK, but in it's first year of existence, the charity has helped over 2,000 children (bear in mind that there is only one staff member and ten volunteers working from London).

You can check out their website here:
childrenofthemekong.org/

And all their social media pages:

So what am I personally doing, you ask? 

Well, I am generally trying to help the charity's popularity and web viability. There are a few more little tasks and jobs I get to do, like opening an ebay shop, but I'll get to those later. My main role for now is to take charge of their online blog. 

*stress face* 

It's obviously a huge responsibility, but so far, the blog has been up and running for only about a week. There's still a few technical tweaks and layout issues we need to fix, and I think it may take some time for the blog to find its "niche" but it's getting there. Check it out:


No comments:

Post a Comment