Friday, 28 June 2013

Twisted Tradition - Sketchbook and Research

Hey,

I wrote about my final CSM project a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't include my initial research or any of my sketches, so here are a few pages from the three sketchbooks we had to use. 

The use of the sketchbook in Fashion related pathways differ from the use of a Fine Art sketchbook, which was what I was used to in my past creative/artistic life. First of all, I used to refer to it more commonly as a journal, and I used it to document my thought process and the journey of the project in the way my mind dealt with it. So, as you might have noticed, the mind isn't very chronological in its methods; so given this fact, Fine Art journals didn't need to make any logical sense, they were meant to be unplanned and reflect our own spontaneous explorations and ideas. 

However, Fashion sketchbooks are perfect. Everything for the core fashion students had to be precise, planned and perfected. My pathway was slightly less strict, but it still had to make sense. It couldn't be a reflection of my own jumbled mind processing everything bit by bit. And the layout for Fashion sketchbooks were generally much neater.

My Fine Art sketchbooks were, well, arty. I was able to stick in anything vaguely related to my theme, scribble down any relevant information, and draw/paint anything I wanted to explore. But for FJA, I had a separate 'information file' for any articles, book photocopies, images etc., and a 'reflective journal' for all my reflection. This made the transition from being a Fine Art student into a Fashion Jewellery and Accessory student harder. I was no longer able to put everything in one book (which was easier for my mind to process, as I could put a lot of stuff on one page). In addition, the work in my FJA sketcbook had to illustrate all the relevant information. This was really difficult when I wanted to include historical information, facts or statistics. However I found a way to get past it, and to make my sketchbook work.

Anyways, here are some of the images I put on my project brief, as my starting points. 

Hassan Hajjaj 2000 ‘Saida in Green’/ Hussein Chalayan Spring Summer 1998 ‘Between’/ Casa Elena Fashion Week 2012 ‘Jogja’/ Jean Paul Gaultier 2010 ‘Vogue-à-Porter’/ Raeda Saadeh 2003 ‘Who will make me real?’/ Prada 2010 ‘Vogue-à-Porter’/ John Galliano 2009, Couture abayas on Paris Runway


And here is some of my sketchbook work.


No comments:

Post a Comment